WAIMR was established in 1998 with the vision of creating a multi-site Institute that would enhance collaboration between Western Australian medical researchers. The University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital and Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital were our founding partners and in July 2003, Fremantle Hospital also became a partner.
WAIMR is an independent medical research institute, incorporated under the Associations Incorporation Act of WA (1987). It is endorsed as a deductible gift recipient (DGR) by the Australian Tax Office, and is registered under the Charitable Collection Act of WA (1946).
WAIMR's inaugural Chairman, the late Harry Perkins, played a pivotal role in the creation of the Institute. Our founding sponsor, Wesfarmers, committed $5 million to establish WAIMR. The University of Western Australia, Bankwest, the West Australian Government, the Wind Over Water Foundation, private donors and the Australian Cancer Research Foundation have all made considerable contributions to our ongoing success.
WAIMR began with offices and laboratories in its Perth Campus at the Medical Research Foundation building of Royal Perth Hospital in 1998. These were expanded in 1999, and in the same year, the Nedlands Campus at B Block, Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre, was officially opened.
WAIMR has created almost 200 highly skilled jobs since its inception, and secured over $50 million in research grants.